Show-and-Tell - Options Trading App

Small app that is still under development.

In intend this is an educational app for stock market traders - most likely of no interest to most people.
App allows some interactive manipulation of risk graph for options strategies based on a model (no live data).

Any comments are welcome.

https://optionsplayground.herokuapp.com/

2 Likes

Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing this. Here’s a screenshot (mobile) for those just passing through:

Thank you for kind words. This is one of couple apps I built and still have more ideas for new ones (so far for private use only).
All this is possible thanks to Dash. I’m self learning scripter and probably wouldn’t spend time if I have to learn and construct everything from scratch.

Nice app @Marcas I am a noob so I couldn’t understand most of the trading terms :sweat_smile:. But I saw that the app title says “Optios” is that a typo you missed to correct?

Yes, it is a typo.
There are other few minor corrections that need to be done in this code (already done).
Do not worry about trying to understand what app does, this is for small group of interested people, for others it is just a waste of time. I just wanted to brag :slight_smile: , I do like how it came out, but most of all I’m interested in opinions of other dash coders. What can be done different, better etc. I know it may seem odd to ask for such a thing if you don’t understand purpose of the app but I still don’t feel comfortable with Dash yet and value opinions of more experienced.

1 Like

Hi @Marcas

I have little experience with stock options, in my opinion some explanation of the use of the app will be interesting to visitors.

Also perhaps some components may be more usefull if you don’t limit the input options for the user, instead of using dropdowns with options use dcc.Input and let the user more flexibility, for example in the strike price.

For the code side perhaps adding a closing button in the right corner of every pop up and also in the main selector will be interesting.

Eduardo, I’m not eager to explain how options work. First it will be waste of time to learn options just for that app. Second, it is close to impossible to do it briefly. In general: you manipulate (top right set of sliders) shape of the implied volatility skew (top graph) and observe impact of changes on structure graph (bottom graph). With bottom right sliders you can manipulate some parameters of the structure. Middle right are display of the greeks (model driven indicators to monitor what is going on with the trade).
… you asked for it :slight_smile:

Your suggestions make sense. I did consider some of them as well.

Input instead of of dropdown for spot price - generally good idea but a) I’d have to write verification code b) idea of the app is to provide general overview without much details. I use very simple options model in this app. For example I limit it to american style options only, and skip over dividends etc. Increasing accuracy of atm wont change anything and can only defocus a user.

Pop-ups are under dev. I’m working on them now. I may do what you suggest but I’m afraid that app already has too many buttons/sliders/dropdowns. I remember about closing buttons. Thanks for feedback.

1 Like

please redirect your link again. It doesn’t open for me. would like to rate your app too. thanks in advance)

It works for me, it takes a time to open but it works.

Just checked and it works.
It sits on free Heroku. That means that after some inactivity site goes dormant (to save server resources) and it takes some time (about a minute) to wake it up with new request.

App is still under development. I plan to publish updated version soon, although still with only single mode available. If I decide to try other than Heroku server I will post updated link here.

@arturradukevic453. Let me know if your problems weren’t temporary.

BlockquoteJust checked and it works.
It sits on free Heroku. That means that after some inactivity site goes dormant (to save server resources and worktime) and it takes some time (about a minute) to wake it up with new request.

App is still under development. I plan to publish updated version soon, although still with only single mode available. If I decide to try other than Heroku server I will post updated link here.

Or link to information

glad it works. there is an update already posted. link stays the same.

I left radio/checkbox appearance to what your browser offers.
On chriddyp’s pic it looks even better than on my FireFox. I checked it on chromium which renders those elements in blue. That doesn’t look good.

As I do not know how to deal with this issue on Dash level I plan to overtire browsers defaults with css to get consistent look for everybody. I suppose I wont go so fancy as on mentioned pics but at least get rid of that unfitting blue. I don’t have Chrome on my machine but I suspect it will also stick that bluishnes to radios. I also didn’t tested it on Opera, Safari, Brave, etc. This issue is not high on my priority list though.

github…? in the same process of creating P&L dig.

No github. Trying to publish the whole app but encounter some problems so no changes to the app page for now.