How to create Hexagon type markers using Mapbox api

Hi,

I am trying to convert the marker type on my map from the circle to a more neat configuration (See screenshot below). I was thinking connected hexagons. But I can’t find anything about being able to change the marker symbol. I saw that you can do this with just plotly but mapbox only has a set of defined marker symbols, but these symbols are not what I am looking for as they are more like icons then shapes. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 2.51.44 PM

Hey @devinburke0 I created a PR to allow hexagonal binning of data with mapbox, @nicolaskruchten seemed pretty enthusiastic about it so hopefully it can get merged in time for Plotly 4.9 release :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats fantastic to hear! 4.9 should be coming out here in the next few weeks right?

@nicolaskruchten is pretty enthusiastic, yes! 4.9 is likely coming out next week :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@RenaudLN :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

@devinburke0 This has just been merged in plotly.py master and should be released with 4.9 pretty soon :slightly_smiling_face:

@RenaudLN’s contribution is now released as part of 4.9! Check out the docs here https://plotly.com/python/hexbin-mapbox/

:trophy:

@nicolaskruchten @RenaudLN fantastic! thanks for letting me know

edit: wow! worked brilliantly, thank you so much for taking the time to build this