Black Lives Matter. Please consider donating to Black Girls Code today.
Learn how to use COVID-19 data in open source Dash apps. Register for the Sept 23rd webinar with IQT!

Time series xaxis range bigger than data domain

Hello,
First of all I’d like to congratulate you on this amazing library.

I have been using Plotly to build a data monitoring program (time series). I have an issue regarding the xaxis range because, even though I define the range within a fixed set of values, the plotted axis’ range is always bigger, which makes sense in being able to clearly see all the markers. In the context of my application I would like that extra white space to be removed (see red arrows in picture below). I’ve searched in the forums for similar issues and I haven’t found anything helpful.

Since I have data within a variable time frame, I would like the xaxis limits to be coincidental with the first (earliest) and last (latest) points of my data set.

I am aware that setting xaxis range will automatically zoom the graphic and rangeslider to the desired time frame but eventually this will be problematic when I add a rangeselector, since the “all” selector will zoom out of the desired time frame. Double-clicking the plot will also cause the plot to zoom out of the desired time window.

This is the code I am using to obtain the plot (removed the shapes and annotations for simplicity):

# Thresholds
alert = 6
critical = 8
min_value = 0
max_value = 10

# Time series
time_end <- Sys.time()
time_begin <- as.Date("2010-1-1 00:00:00")

x <- seq(time_begin, as.Date(time_end), "week")
y <- runif(n = length(x), min = 0, max = 10)

new_plot <- plot_ly(x = ~x, y = ~y)

new_plot<- layout(new_plot,
    titlefont = list(
      color = "rgba(0,0,144,1)",
      size = 16
    ),

xaxis = list(
      title = "",
      rangeslider = list(type = "date"),
      range = c(as.numeric(as.Date(time_begin))*24*60*60*1000, 
                as.numeric(as.Date(time_end))*24*60*60*1000)
  ),
  yaxis = list(title = "",
               range = c(min_value, max_value),
               showgrid=TRUE),
)

Any suggestions?

Thank you