SpacExploration Application

Hello Plotly Community,

I’m excited to share my latest project, SpacExploration App, a real-time dashboard built with Dash that visualizes various aspects of space exploration. The app scrapes data daily and in real-time (every 6 hours), offering an up-to-date view of space activities.

:earth_africa: Features:

• 3D Rotating Earth: Visualizes the number of launches by country since the beginning of space exploration.
  • Historical Milestones: Presented in a Cytoscape graph resembling constellations, each node represents a significant event in space history.
  • Dynamic Dashboard: Includes line plots, bar graphs, and sunburst charts that update based on user interaction to show data like number of launches, success rates, and more.

:hammer_and_wrench: Technical Highlights:

• Data Scraping: Utilizes Python scripts to scrape data from NextSpaceFlight.com and the French Wikipedia page on space exploration milestones, which is auto-translated to English. A Flask server triggers the scraping scripts, ensuring that the data is always up-to-date.
  • Responsive Design: The app is fully responsive, adapting to various screen sizes.
  • Google Cloud Run: The app is deployed on Google Cloud Run

Video preview: SpacExploration Video
Live link: SpacExploration Link App

Some screenshots:

If you want to see more details, you can go to the repository of this project on Github

I can’t wait to hear your feedback
Best regards

7 Likes

Hello @tgy98,

Welcome to the community! :tada: Your application is absolutely breathtaking! :star_struck: The design is incredibly stunning, and I’m especially impressed by how you’ve utilized the Cytoscape library to craft the constellation map. Truly innovative and visually captivating – great work! :clap::clap:

3 Likes

Hello @atharvakatre and thank you so much for your kind words!

I’m thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the application, especially for the Cytoscape part. I spent time pondering how to present data in a way that felt aligned with the theme of space exploration and the idea of using “constellations” for historical milestones really excited me.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Best regards

1 Like

You want feedback, huh?

Well … besides really cool idea … if you ever wanted to take things to another level, check out this:

If you’re ever looking for a fun project and want to put the solar system in a Dash app … and make them all color coded … …This guy was tinkering w Plotly charts … how about extending the WOW effect to a dash app … (who doesn’t like coloured, textured planets spinning around, eh?) this would be something :slight_smile:

Email me for more info if interested. dave@plot.ly

1 Like

Hello,
Thank you for the feedback and for sharing the link to the planet implementation project. It looks fascinating.

I’ve sent you an email to discuss this further.

Best regards,

Absolutely stunning app, @tgy98
We would love to include this app in our Plotly Example Apps page. Would you be ok with that?

Hi @adamschroeder ,

Thank you for your kind words about my Dash App.
I’m definitely okay with it being included on the Plotly Example Apps page, and I’m grateful for the offer.

Hi there,

I’m just discovering Dash (and python quite frankly!). Might be a silly question but was this app (amazing stuff by the way) created purely through open source libraries?

Thanks,
Nick

Hi @NicholasJackson7 ,

Thank you for the kind words!

Yes, the app is built entirely using open-source libraries. I’ve primarily used Dash, Dash Cytoscape, Dash Mantine, among others to create the application. If you’re interested in diving deeper, I’ve documented the whole process, including the libraries used, in the README on the GitHub repository.

Here’s the link to the GitHub repo for more information: Github repo

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

Best regards,
Tanguy

2 Likes