I identified a bug in dash and want to contribute to solving it. I cloned the dash repo onto my computer, created a new branch, and solved the bug on that branch. However, I’m having trouble pushing that branch to the remote repository so that I can create a PR. I am getting the following error:
Has anyone experienced something similar?
Thank you for your help!
I’ve seen something similar if I didn’t fork the dash repo first, or if I forgot to make a new branch.
The contributing guide in dash-bootstrap-components library is good, and it includes a few steps that the dash contributing guide skips. I’ve modified it for dash:
Adhering to the following process is the best way to get your work
included in the project:
Fork the project, clone your fork,
and configure the remotes:
# Clone your fork of the repo into the current directory
git clone https://github.com/<your-username>/dash.git
# Navigate to the newly cloned directory
# Assign the original repo to a remote called "upstream"
git remote add upstream https://github.com/plotly/dash.git
If you cloned a while ago, get the latest changes from upstream:
git checkout dev
git pull upstream dev
Create a new topic branch (off the main project development branch) to
contain your feature, change, or fix:
git checkout -b <topic-branch-name>
Follow the rest of the “getting started” section in in the dash CONTRIBUTING.md starting with making a virtual environment.
After you build locally,
git status will show these modified files:
Do not commit these
package-lock.json changes in your PR
Commit your changes in logical chunks. Please adhere to these git commit
or your code is unlikely be merged into the main project. Use Git’s
feature to tidy up your commits before making them public.
Locally merge (or rebase) the upstream development branch into your topic branch:
git pull [--rebase] upstream dev
Push your topic branch up to your fork:
git push origin <topic-branch-name>
Open a Pull Request
with a clear title and description against the
Hi @AnnMarieW! Thank you so much for your detailed response – super helpful:) I think that my problem is that I forgot to fork the dash repo first.