Plotly Dash Skills: We believe in communicating with non-technical users through fast prototyping and iteration, Plotly Dash is our main communication tool.
Company: LexisNexis Risk Solutions Group
Title: Data Scientist
Category: Full Time
Location: Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany (Hybrid)
Experience: Entry level
Application: Link to apply
About the job
ICIS is part of Risk Solutions Group (RSG) a division of RELX Group, a FTSE 20 company with revenues of $9.5 billion in 2020. ICIS make some of the world’s most important markets more trusted and predictable by providing data services, thought leadership and decision tools. We exist to help businesses in the energy, petrochemical and fertilizer industries make strategic decisions, mitigate risk, improve productivity, and capitalise on new opportunities. Thousands of decisions are taken across supply chains every day using our intelligence and we make this possible through a global presence that delivers the targeted, local insights customers need to achieve growth in this new world of meaningful data. Shaping the world by connecting markets to optimise the worlds valuable resources. With a global team of more than 700, ICIS has employees based in London, New York, Houston, Karlsruhe, Milan, Mumbai, Singapore, Guangzhou, Beijing, Shanghai, Dubai, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Tokyo and Perth.
You will drive data-based innovation by developing analytical models, visualisations, and tools to analyse and forecast one of the largest industries in the world - the chemical industry - a complex global supply network. As a Data Scientist, you will join our experienced team of Data Scientists and work closely together with our large team of market analysts around the globe. Our models cover prices, supply / demand, costs and logistics to drive trading and production decisions across the industry. You will be part of an international team, which requires occasional travel globally. As of day one, you will have responsibility in demanding analytics innovation projects - your first focus will be to support the development of our analytics platform, providing analysts and clients with market analytics and visualisations tools to better understand and forecast the complex chemical value chain, from oil to refined products. Our Senior Data Scientists will help you grow into taking ownership of analytics around parts of the markets for which you will be able to drive innovation.
- Drive and support R&D and operation of data-driven analytical market models: Co-develop with our analysts and market experts strong quantitative market models and visualisations to predict key market variables drawing from multiple techniques; guide and support others in the development of models as well as create hands
- Engage with our internal market experts to explain our models and insights as well as discuss the chemical market structure and key drivers - translate gained domain knowledge back into models and build a deep understanding of operation and decision making in our markets
- Enable efficient communication across teams through fast prototyping and demos of potential solutions
- Program required routines and data preparations; create smart ways to visualise data and mitigate data gaps with reasonable assumptions and estimates
- Constantly learn new techniques and apply to existing and new analytical problems in our markets. Actively share knowledge and innovation areas with peers
Key Skills/Experience Required:
- 2-3 years of practical experience in market modelling, ideally in the context of using fundamentals to analyse and forecast prices and markets
- Proficient in Python and standard Data Science libraries (Pandas, NumPy, Scikit-learn…)
- Interest in working on analytics and forecasting projects heavily reliant on human / machine collaborations. Our goal is to inform and improve human decisions by maintaining a high level of explainability in everything we do
- Experience / interest in learning basic web development tools. We believe in communicating with non-technical users through fast prototyping and iteration, Plotly Dash is our main communication tool
- A strong interest in developing expertise in the global chemical supply network and commodity markets which are essential to make modern life possible and optimise the worlds scarce resources