Black Lives Matter. Please consider donating to Black Girls Code today.
Learn how to use COVID-19 data in open source Dash apps. Register for the Sept 23rd webinar with IQT!

Browser keeps spinning. apache2 complains it cannot read home directory. Proper config for plotly plots and apache web app in offline mode?

Hi , I have a django python app that accepts csv raw output from a DNA analysis machine and processes it in pandas and plots it using plotly.
The calls in plotly are

figure = go.Figure(data=data, layout=layout)
div = plotly.offline.plot(figure,auto_open=False,output_type=“div”)
graph_divs.append(div)

These graph html are then rendered in the django template:

{% for graph in graphs %}

{{ graph|safe }}

{% endfor %}

When I go to host this app using the apache2 on my Linux box or on amazon elasticbeanstalk , I see the message in my apache2 error_log saying what it says below. The webserver then just keeps spinning and never responds.

[Mon May 15 22:13:20.813775 2017] [wsgi:error] [pid 16943:tid 140167217755904] Looks like you don’t have ‘read-write’ permission to your ‘home’ (’~’) directory or to our ‘~/.plotly’ directory. That means plotly’s python api can’t setup local configuration files. No problem though! You’ll just have to sign-in using ‘plotly.plotly.sign_in()’. For help with that: ‘help(plotly.plotly.sign_in)’.
[Mon May 15 22:13:20.813780 2017] [wsgi:error] [pid 16943:tid 140167217755904] Questions? Visit https://support.plot.ly

To get around this possible permission error I created a .plotly directory with valid credentials in my home directory and even set the directory read/write status to 777. I also tried signin in as recommended in my code

plotly.plotly.sign_in(username=‘myname’, api_key=‘mykey’)

Under all these setups the web browser just waits and does not log any error or even go on to the next step. It just seems stuck.

If I uncomment the line to call the plotting function everything proceeds as normal.

Something about calling plotly with mod_wsgi and apache blocks and does not proceed properly.

Can someone help me get my apache config right. What user does plotly run as and how do I get it to give the plot divs in an apache setup.

Thanks
Hari