Add PWA Functionality to Dash App

Hello, I am a new member of the community & very new to web development with python! I recently learned about Progressive Web Apps (PWA) and they sound like a great way to give my apps a better feel on mobile. I’ve been attempting to convert an existing app, but I’m not having much luck. I’ve figured out how to implement some pieces of a PWA, like inserting meta tags, but I’ve been unable figure out how to implement important features like service workers or a manifest.

Does anyone know if their are any tutorials or examples of how to turn a dash app into a PWA? If not, does anyone have any advice for how I should tackle this problem? Thank you!

Hi @J-Walk ,
Welcome to the community.

Here’s a video on how to upload your Dash app to mobile via PWA.

6 Likes

I was not even aware this was a thing, definitely gonna tinker with this!

2 Likes

Thanks for the video @adamschroeder , that was exactly what I was looking for! The tutorial was clear & worked like a charm. I’m super pumped to start using this.

1 Like

Hi all,
I’m my Dash webapp refreshes a figure that get live data from a source. I’m curious if PWA can get the live data feed that my Dash webapp is currently doing? It seems like PWA is a static app? I’m still new and shooting my question out there :smiley:
Thanks!

hi @ngaunguyens
PWA is a type of application software designed to give users an experience on par with native apps. I don’t think share should be a problem with getting live data from an API. You could use the dcc.Interval. Does that make sense?

1 Like

Thanks Adam,
I looked into your video and some snippet of codes and there are “offline” in the code or comments; hence I thought PWA would be static. So I wanted to double check.
Since you PWA should function similar to webapp, I’ll give this a try :smiley:

Thanks again!

1 Like