WARNING: This is a development server? How to set up a safe environment

I recently started getting into the the dash library and I’m a little bit confused about this warning I’m getting:

WARNING: This is a development server. Do not use it in a production deployment.

If I am understanding this correctly, that warning is just to say that if you’re going to deploy an app… meaning host it on some service like Heroku and make it public to other users over the internet… Then you don’t want to be using the default Werkzueg server that Dash uses? But other than that, if all I am doing is just testing out code on my local computer (local host 127.0.0.1:8050) through an IDE like Jupyter Lab, I am fine and there is not security risk of someone hacking me in the development process?

The concern primarily came up after reading this article:

Currently all I am doing is just writing my code into Jupyter Lab and then hitting app.run_server() to pull up the localhost and see what the web app looks like – and if I understand correctly this is safe?

I am completely new to development and production environments, but just want to make sure that what I’m doing is not putting my computer at risk, so please forgive me if I sound a bit stupid here :slight_smile: