Locking turntable rotation to different axis

I’ve got a 3D scatterplot that, for reasons of translating Unity coordinates to Plotly ones, does not have the correct “up” axis by default in my dataset. To fix this issue, I set camera up values to: x: 0, y: 1, z: 0, but I want to use turntable rotation on this graph (orbital is somewhat disorienting), and using turntable rotation locks the axes in such a way that the chart again has the wrong “up” axis when rotating in turntable mode. Is there some way to specify a different “locked” axis in turntable rotation mode? Or to specify that the turntable rotation obey the camera’s up values?

Hey @chadamski where you able to find a solution for this?

There is no option for that at the moment.
But you should be able to replace values in y with z e.g.

{
  type: 'scatter3d',
  x: x,
  y: z,
  z: y,
}
1 Like

This is totally the way to do it. I feel pretty dumb about trying to wrangle the camera controls when I could have just switched the axes all along. Whew.

Could we actually get this feature? Allowing the user to set the up axis for turntable rotation? For my usecase, the user will heavily rely on 3D coordinates of different points across a scene. And swapping Y and Z axis will eventually lead to unintended errors. This feels like a pretty easy but important feature to add.

The intricacy arises from the intricate dance between Unity coordinates and Plotly’s realm, leading to an elusive “up” axis alignment. In a bid to orchestrate harmony, I’ve gracefully set the camera up values to x: 0, y: 1, z: 0. Yet, my heart yearns for the elegance of turntable rotation, only to discover that it has its own choreography, locking axes and leaving my plot with an askew “up” axis during its mesmerizing spin.