How to catch which button (zoom in, zoom out ,etc.) has been click in the Mode Bar?

I’m trying to find from which button in the Modebar (zoom in, out ,etc.) the zoom has been trigger
I catch the ploty_relayout event but now, how to find from which button it has been trigger ?
Looks like it is at document level but I cannot find out…

graphDivFullCycle.on('plotly_relayout', function(eventdata){

alert( 'Event data:' + PointerEvent.target + '\n' +
             JSON.stringify(eventdata) + '\n\n' +
            'x-axis start:' + eventdata['xaxis.range[0]'] + '\n' +
            'x-axis end:' + eventdata['xaxis.range[1]'] );

Hello @jea1768,

Welcome to the community.

You are trying to know which button is active when the user is interacting with the chart?

Hello jinnyzor,
Yes, because as you can see in the code below, I want to copy the part of the plot (graphDivFullCycle) that I zoomed into a second plot (graphDivCriteria) but as this is done in the ṕlot_relayout event, I also get the side effect of the zoom in & out from the first plot into the second plot which I don´t want - I managed to avoid the reset axes and autoscale with the If’s but I can´t find a way for zoom in & out (okay, I could remove the zoom in & out in graphDivFullCycle buttons but this is nice to have them)

graphDivFullCycle.on(‘plotly_relayout’, function(eventdata){
/*
alert( ‘Event data:\n’ +
JSON.stringify(eventdata) + ‘\n\n’ +
‘x-axis start:’ + eventdata[‘xaxis.range[0]’] + ‘\n’ +
‘x-axis end:’ + eventdata[‘xaxis.range[1]’] );
*/
// “Filter” zooms on the full data cycle to not propagate them on the criteria graph
if (JSON.stringify(eventdata) == ‘{“xaxis.autorange”:true,“yaxis.autorange”:true}’ ) // Auto scale ?
{
console.log(“AUTO RESCALE OF THE FULL DATA CYCLE, DO NOTHING !”);
return;
}
if (eventdata[‘xaxis.range[0]’] == null && eventdata[‘xaxis.range[1]’] == null ) // Reset axes ?
{
console.log(“RESET AXES OF THE FULL DATA CYCLE, DO NOTHING !”);
return;
}

// Copy zoomed part into graphDivCriteria
        var startXZoom = eventdata['xaxis.range[0]'];
        var endXZoom = eventdata['xaxis.range[1]'];

criteria['x'] = [];
        criteria['y'] = [];

// Search index in dataFullCycle where x is >= startXZoom
        var startXCriteriaIndex = dataFullCycle['x'].findIndex(element => element >= startXZoom);
        console.log("Start Index=",startXCriteriaIndex, "=>", dataFullCycle['x'][startXCriteriaIndex] );
        // Search index in dataFullCycle where x is <= endXZoom
        var endXCriteriaIndex = dataFullCycle['x'].findIndex(element => element > endXZoom);
        //endXCriteriaIndex--;
        console.log("End Index=",endXCriteriaIndex, "=>", dataFullCycle['x'][endXCriteriaIndex] );

criteria['x'] = dataFullCycle['x'].slice(startXCriteriaIndex, endXCriteriaIndex);
        criteria['y'] = dataFullCycle['y'].slice(startXCriteriaIndex, endXCriteriaIndex);          

// Rescale criteria X according to the zoom we did
        updateCriteria['xaxis.range']  =  [startXZoom, endXZoom];

Plotly.restyle(graphDivCriteria, updateCriteria);
        Plotly.relayout(graphDivCriteria, updateCriteria);

});

You might be able to query which “modebar-btn”, this is a class, has the class “active”.

I see that this is available through implementing via Dash, but it should be there.

I didn´t manage with modebar-btn… Do you have an example of an event catching from the modebar ?
I think I will add some flags in the button.js source code and test against them in my code
It is really amazing how these click events are very well hidden somewhere ! I cannot find them in the document neither the window nodes…

If you are trying to capture the event of selecting the active button, then you can do this:

$(document).on("mousedown", function () {
     if (event.target == 'path') {
          console.log($(event.target).closest('.modebar-btn').attr('data-title'))
     }
})

Keep in mind, setting a static variable based upon interaction will not work because of switching between graphs.

React doesnt use click events, rather, mousedown.

Thank you very much - mousedown does the job !

var zoom_button_on_mouse_down;
(document).on("mousedown", function () { zoom_button_on_mouse_down = (event.target).closest(‘.modebar-btn’).attr(‘data-title’);
})
graphDivFullCycle.on(‘plotly_relayout’, function(eventdata){

if ( zoom_button_on_mouse_down == "Zoom in" ){
          return;
        }
        if ( zoom_button_on_mouse_down == "Zoom out" ){
          return;
        }
        if ( zoom_button_on_mouse_down == "Autoscale" ){
          return;
        }
        if ( zoom_button_on_mouse_down == "Reset axes" ){