Easiest solution for blogging using Plotly charts?

Hi,

I’m thinking of creating a blog to share some articles about topics that I could talk about using interactive Plotly charts, but I’m struggling a bit to find suitable candidates for:

• Easily implementing Plotly charts via Chart Studio.
  • Resizing the charts accordingly for suitable mobile phone reading as well as computer reading.
  • People who are not web developers.

WordPress does not support iframes with the free or cheapest options, and the URL embedding does not allow the interactive functions.
Blogger does not seem to be able to accept CSS code to allow the charts to be scrollable when using a mobile phone.
Github Pages seems a bit too intimidating…

Am I missing elementary elements that would make my life easier, in terms of optimizing my charts, or in terms of blogging solutions?

In case you need an example of a chart that I’m struggling to properly embed in blogs, here is one:

https://plotly.com/~MichaelGauthier/4/

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have not used it but have you looked into this WordPress plugin? It does look like it is no longer maintained though. I found it here: Embed Your Graphs

Yes, I thought about it, but as you said, it is no longer maintained, and I came across posts from users saying that it was not working anymore… There are other plugins, but as I said, they come with the options starting at 25$ per month, and I would like to explore cheaper alternatives, if possible… : /

Do you mean that wordpress.com does not support iframes for free? The Wordpress software does, by inserting HTML in the code editor. (I’m not really sure how well this approach works on a mobile screen though).

So one option might be to put up your own Wordpress site on a cheap web hosting platform and use iframes. Most web hosting services support Wordpress.

Another is to write your whole blogging site as a Dash app, and then deploy it to a cloud application platform such as Heroku. I think this would start at around $5 per month, or possibly even free for a while. This approach does need web development skills however.

1 Like

Sorry, I was unclear… Iframes are supported indeed within WordPress, but for some reason when I try to embed the iframe of my Chart Studio charts, these do not work… When I try via the visual editor in WordPress, the chart does not appear on the page, and when I try via the code editor within WP, I can see the bit of iframe code disappearing when I proceed to “view the article”.

I know that my iframe would not work if the embedded link is not https, but in this case it is… So I have the impression that I would need to use a plugin that is reserved for higher tier WP options, but I’d rather avoid that, as it is the only “fancy” thing I really need… Another possibility would be that for some reason Chart Studio is blocked by WP… Do you know of any other website from which I could generate iframes to embed my charts in WP?

I could indeed do it via Dash, but I think that my web dev skills are not that good yet, so I’d rather exhaust all my other WP options before that! ^^’

Thanks for your answer!

It does seem to be a wordpress-dot-com restriction - Embed Content from Other Platforms – WordPress.com Support

I regret I don’t know about other blogging sites, except that Medium has a similar restriction

1 Like