Black Lives Matter. Please consider donating to Black Girls Code today.

Combination of grouped and stacked bar chart

Hi,

Is something equivalent to following below, possible with plot.ly javascript library?
Did not come across examples that marry the two layouts – grouped as well as stacked.

http://www.highcharts.com/demo/column-stacked-and-grouped/

Thanks
Shal

Hi there,
Unfortunately a combination of stacked and grouped bar charts in a single chart is not possible at this time.

You can play around with the offset, width and base properties of each trace when using a stacked layout.
With base = 0 the trace is excluded from the stacking.

In Python:

notStacked = go.Bar(
base = 0,
width = 0.4,
offset = 0.0,
marker = dict(color = “rgb(0,120,255)”)
)

stacked1 = go.Bar(
width = 0.4,
offset = -0.4,
marker = dict(color = “rgb(250,60,0)”)
)

stacked2 = go.Bar(
width = 0.4,
offset = -0.4,
marker = dict(color = “rgb(250,130,0)”)
)

Hi, what about now ? is stacked and grouped bar charts are available or we still have to use @nlichtenberg trick ?

Is there somewhere we can check to see if this feature is implemented?

It is possible to create stacked+grouped charts using subplots, see https://github.com/plotly/plotly.js/issues/1835 for an example

1 Like

Imagine I need to create a structure like “series xy” where the maximum of x is >100 and the maximum of y is 2. Now I have to create >100 x axes and position them accordingly? I don’t think this is feasible…

Also if you want “series x1” and “series x2” to share the same overall tick, you need to give each axis a title, instead of just use the x data from the trace; thus completely eliminating sharing the same overall tick due to x data from traces. (You’re using subplots that don’t overlay, after all.)

This workaround doesn’t work for my use-case at all, where it’s not about showing actually stacked data but rather visualizing an interval with the help of bars.

I had a plot that first utilized transparent stacked bars to achieve an offset to the origin axis as well as having overlaying bars with different widths to visualize intervals. Then I needed to group them instead of using different widths and ended up providing the origin offset using the base-attribute, while utilizing extra axes for the overlaying bars and transparent traces to keep the grouping consistent for the overlaying bars.
I ended up exactly with what I needed.

It’s possible to change the positions of Apples, Pears and Cherries like 90º degrees 45º degrees? I see I can change the size with xaxis: {title:{font:{size:""}}}, but if I tried some longer names like AwesomeApplesBigTree and put like 10 xaxis. The title doesnt stay in the midle?Theres a way to change these properties? Because the title doesnt chanche with the responsive property.

It is now possible to do this in plotly using a sub-category axis.