Calgary Street Cameras Images Download

Hi everyone!

I love taking photos with all kinds of devices, from low-resolution vintage gear and early 2000s digital cameras to Polaroids and DIY pinhole cameras (this one was a fail for me).

Recently, I decided to take this passion into data visualization! Using the superpower of Plotly Studio paired with Calgary’s open data API, I created an interactive app that maps the city’s public camera feeds and transforms them into a fun photo-capture tool.

Key Features Built in Plotly Studio:

  • :round_pushpin: Interactive Camera Map: Pins every public camera using live geolocation coordinates.
  • :framed_picture: Live Image Preview: Displays the latest image feed from any selected camera.
  • :stopwatch: Pose Timer: A built-in countdown reference so you can strike a pose in front of the camera!
  • :floppy_disk: Download Option: Save the public camera snapshot directly to your device.
  • :star: Community Rating System: Vote on the best cameras across the city for taking unique photos.

Plotly Studio made it incredibly fast and intuitive to turn raw public endpoints into a fully functional, interactive web app.

After some tries I got a nice pic with the street camera close to my place.

Let me know what you think, or if you have any ideas for new features!

This is a really creative use of Plotly Studio. I like the idea of turning open data into something people can actually interact with rather than just displaying it as a chart. The camera map and live preview sound especially useful. I’d be interested to see how the app performs with a larger number of feeds.

Hey andguez, this is such a cool project! Combining a passion for photography with Calgary’s open data using Plotly Studio is super creative, and the interactive map with live feeds and a pose timer makes it feel like a genuinely fun utility rather than just a standard data dashboard. Awesome work bringing this to life so quickly!

@arshraossks @william.williamkane7 Here are some cities with camera systems like Calgary, I could be interesting to see other versions of this Plotly studio app. New York should be really cool!! :statue_of_liberty:

City Status Picture URL (pattern) Dataset / more info
Austin, TX, USA Verified live https://cctv.austinmobility.io/image/1.jpg Traffic Cameras — data.austintexas.gov
New York City, NY, USA Reported (well-documented, widely used) New York Cameras | View Live New York Cameras | 511NY NYC DOT real-time traffic cameras — nyctmc.org
Toronto, ON, Canada Reported, dataset now marked Retired — check before relying on it Ontario Cameras | View Live Ontario Cameras | Ontario 511 Traffic Cameras — Toronto Open Data