Learn how to use Dash Bio for next-gen sequencing & quality control. 🧬Register for the Oct 27 webinar.

ValueError("Invalid value") in basedatatypes.py

After upgrading to Plotly 5 (either 5.1.0 or 5.2.2), I am seeing the error (given below) for various plots, at random. The issue goes away if Plotly is downgraded to 4.14.3.

File "plotly/basedatatypes.py", line 3952, in _index_is
raise ValueError("Invalid value")

Unfortunately, I do not have a simple reproducible example to open an issue, but here is the description of the problem.

I have a Dash app that plots several graphs. When the Dash app starts, some plots do not get displayed, and I see the error. This only occurs on the initial startup of the app. When the webpage is refreshed, the error does not re-appear, and all plots get displayed without errors.

If I downgrade to Plotly 4.14.3, the issue goes away entirely.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

I am using plotly (online) in a Flask App running with mod_wsgi on an Apache server and I get exactly the same error, randomly also with the latest Plotly version (5.3.1).

Downgrading to 4.14.3 does not help.

So far I can judge, the error also only seems to appear after a server restart. The error also appears for the first plotly graph I try to plot on the webpage (I am plotting several Plotly plots on the page).

I am encountering this issue as well while using Plotly (5.3.1) with Dash (2.0.0). I checked all the data points that I supply to the graph, and they are all float values, i.e. should all be valid. So I have no clue how to debug this other than joining the above users.

There are other reports of this issue: