Black Lives Matter. Please consider donating to Black Girls Code today.

Update yaxis range with updatemenus button

Is there a way to update the yaxis range on button click? I am using buttons to toggle source data on a 2y axis chart, and need to manually define the axis ranges for each data series (due to the tick alignment issue that emerges in the default axis range when using 2y axis charts).

For a single 2y chart (i.e., no buttons) I’ve employed the code below, which works fine. Curious if there is a way to update these fields on click. I’ve tried flowing them into buttons.args, but I do not believe (based on external documentation) that these specific attributes are supported.

#Y-axis1 format
fig.update_yaxes(title_text='First yaxis title', tickformat=y1_label_format, range=[y1_min,y1_max], tickvals=y1_tickvals, secondary_y=False)

#Y-axis2 format
fig.update_yaxes(title_text='Second yaxis Title', tickformat=y2_label_format, range=[y2_min,y2_max], tickvals=y2_tickvals, secondary_y=True)

I’ve also considered making multiple superimposed, independent charts with buttons to show only the selected chart (and hide the others), although I have not seen any reference on successfully hiding entire charts with buttons (rather than single traces / elements).

Any guidance would be much appreciated…

Hi @petership,

Welcome to the community!

You can look here for an example on how to adjust the layout/data sections of a graph using “updatemenus”.

Otherwise you could create your own buttons and callbacks if you need more flexibility - like to selectively show/hide entire charts. I could elaborate on this if necessary.

I hope I’ve understood your question. :sweat_smile:

Hi @suiroc - thanks for the response. I had seen this page. Let me try to be more specific. In order to make the axes align when I update the underlying plot data, I need to be able to update the following fields on button click: range (y1 axis), range (y2 axis), tickvals (y1 axis), tickvals (y2 axis). These four + the visible field make 5 attributes that need to be updated on button click. I am trying to understand the appropriate way to flow these arguments into updatemenus.buttons. I have tried using a dict similar to the annotations example on the page you have shared, but it was not working. I am not sure whether this is a syntax issue, or whether these arguments are simply not supported with buttons.

Hi @petership,

The updates to be performed are layout updates. This notebook https://chart-studio.plotly.com/~empet/15608 explains how relayout works, with a few detailed examples, including updating yaxis1 and yaxis2.

1 Like