TypeError that I don't understand in an app

Hello everyone,

I have an error message when I run an app and I do not understand why I got this one. I use the same type of code in another part of the application and I do not have this issue.

What I want to do:
1- Select an item using a dcc.RadioItems
2- Make a selection of several values within the selected RadioItem, using a multiple dcc.Dropdown
3- Make a graph of all values of a third column, using the data coming from the Dropdown.

Here’s what I’ve got:

I do not get why. I’m using the right syntax I think (df2 = df[df["…"].isin(…)]). I’m using the exact same code in another part of the app, using the exact same dataframe, and I do not have errors.
Plus, even if I have this error message, I get my graph at the end, so basically it’s working.

The only thing that I do different is that I make an if/elif statement to select the data coming from my Radio Items selection. A part of my code (app.callbacks only) is available below. I used some codes coming from the Dash guide, maybe I did something wrong?

# Selection of the type to analyse (group, subgroup, or product)
@app.callback(
    Output('tab3_dropdown', 'options'),
    Input('tab3_radioitem', 'value')
)

def set_cities_options(selected_country):
    return [{'label': i, 'value': i} for i in available_lists[selected_country]]

# Select the group(s), subgroup(s) or product(s)
@app.callback(
    Output('tab3_dropdown', 'value'),
    Input('tab3_dropdown', 'options')
)

def set_cities_value(available_options):
    return available_options[0]['value']

# Group graph 1 
@app.callback(
    Output('tab3_graph_1', 'figure'),
    Input('tab3_radioitem', 'value'),
    Input('tab3_dropdown', 'value')
)

def callback_tab3_graph_1(selected_radioitem, selected_group_1):
    if selected_radioitem == "Groups":
        tmp_graph_1 = etapes[etapes["Groupe d'aliment"].isin(selected_group_1)]
    elif selected_radioitem == "Subgroups":
        tmp_graph_1 = etapes[etapes["Sous-groupe d'aliment"].isin(selected_group_1)]
    else:
        tmp_graph_1 = etapes[etapes["Nom du Produit en Français"].isin(selected_group_1)]    

tmp_graph_2 = pd.DataFrame(tmp_graph_1.sort_values(by=["Groupe d'aliment", "Sous-groupe d'aliment", "Nom du Produit en Français"]))
    tmp_graph_3 = pd.DataFrame(tmp_graph_2.rename(columns={"Total" : "PEF"})) 

comp_fig_6 = px.bar(tmp_graph_3, x="Nom du Produit en Français", y="PEF", color="Nom du Produit en Français", title='Score PEF', barmode="group")

return comp_fig_6

I’m definitely sure the issue comes from the third callback (# Group graph 1), cause when I remove this one I do not have any error anymore.

Do you have an advice to help me fix this? Again, when I do my selections it’s working in the end (see below the ice creams).

Thank you very much,
Alpy

Hi Alpy,

The error message is saying that the function isin() must be used with a list and instead you are passing a string.
Check the element that you have into the isin().