Turn off automatic graph update while updating traces

Currently I am working on an interactive plot using Jupyter notebook and ipywidgets, but I would like to be able to turn automatic updates of the graph on and off.

First I create a figure with a number of sliders to set the inputs, which are used to update about 15 different lines in 4 subplots. However, when I run the self.update_scatter() function, every time the whole graph is updated, which makes the update both a slow and ugly process.
What I want to do is to update all the lines in the background and then update the whole figure at once, but I cannot find a setting for this. Is it possible to turn off the automatic updates and manually update after I changed the graphs?

My update function looks like this:

def update_y_axis_old(change):

# Read data 
    [plot_data, axis_label, axis_val] = load_data()

# Some option to turn of automatic updates.....

# Update all traces.
    for pol, col, row_no, in zip(['HH', 'HV'], ['blue', 'red'], [1, 2]):
        # Plot amplitude plot

plot.update_traces(y=plot_data['percentiles_1_' + pol], 
                           selector=dict(name= str(percentiles[1]) + ' percentile ' + pol), row=1, col=1)
        plot.update_traces(y=plot_data['median_' + pol], selector=dict(name='amplitude ' + pol), row=1, col=1)
        plot.update_traces(y=plot_data['percentiles_2_' + pol], 
                           selector=dict(name= str(percentiles[0]) + ' percentile ' + pol), row=1, col=1)
        # Plot coherence plots
        plot.update_traces(y=plot_data['coherence_baseline_' + pol], 
                           selector=dict(col=2, row=row_no, name='baseline'))
        plot.update_traces(y=plot_data['coherence_vol_' + pol], selector=dict(name='volume'), col=2, row=row_no)
        plot.update_traces(y=plot_data['coherence_snr_' + pol], selector=dict(name='SNR'), col=2, row=row_no)
        plot.update_traces(y=plot_data['coh_percentiles_1_' + pol], 
                           selector=dict(name= str(percentiles[0]) + ' percentile'), row=row_no, col=2)
        plot.update_traces(y=plot_data['coherence_' + pol], selector=dict(name='total'), col=2, row=row_no)
        plot.update_traces(y=plot_data['coh_percentiles_2_' + pol], 
                           selector=dict(name= str(percentiles[1]) + ' percentile'), row=row_no, col=2)

# Plot std plot
        for look in looks:
            plot.update_traces(y=plot_data['std_meters_' + pol + '_' + str(look)], 
                                 selector=dict(name=pol + ' ' + str(look) + ' looks'), row=2, col=1)

# Finally do the update to the full plot.

I also tried some other ways to update the lines, but I get the same problem. The issue is here that plotly is updating the lines in the graph one by one, while I want to do the update all at once.

Hi @gmulder,

This issue is actually not really related to plotly but to ipywidgets. It is quite hard to give you a direct solution based on your code but on suggestion is to use a checkbox widget to turn off/on the update.

Here a very generic example:

import plotly.graph_objects as go
import ipywidgets as widgets
import numpy as np

def update_fig(freq, phase, update):
    if update:
        fig.data[0].y = np.sin(2*np.pi*freq*x + phase)

update_checkbox = widgets.Checkbox(value = True, description='update fig')
freq_slider = widgets.FloatSlider(min=0.1, max=1)
phase_slider = widgets.FloatSlider(min=np.pi, max=2*np.pi)
interact_objs = widgets.interactive(update_fig, freq=freq_slider, phase=phase_slider, update=update_checkbox)       
x = np.linspace(0,2*np.pi,100)
fig = go.FigureWidget(go.Scatter(x=x))
display(interact_objs, fig)

hope it helps

Alex-

Hi @Alexboiboi

Great sample, But it works only in Jupyternotebook for me and it doesn’t work in spyder and Vscode. Have you any suggestion for this issue?
seem the main problem is that they do not know the display command