Black Lives Matter. Please consider donating to Black Girls Code today.
Learn how to use COVID-19 data in open source Dash apps. Register for the Sept 23rd webinar with IQT!

Reversed axis with range specified

Hello,

There is an example here of reversing an axis whilst also specifying a range. However, the range specification doesn’t work for me in a Jupyter notebook. Changing the maximum range to 15 for instance does not affect the plot.

Thanks

@MrWallace The autorange key can get only one of the following values: True, False or ‘reversed’ ( see https://plot.ly/python/reference/#layout-xaxis-autorange ).
An xaxis range greater then the real range of the x-values of your data points is displayed in a Plotly plot only when autorange=False.
But in this case you cannot reverse the xaxis, because autorange=False+‘reversed’ doesn’t work.

If you really want a blank area at the left of your plot,
where to insert an annotation, for example,
then a solution is to add a trace consisting in only one invisible point, of x-coordinate=15:

additional_trace=go.Scatter(x=[15], y=[60], marker=dict(color='white'))
and replace in your code the line
data=[trace]
with
data=[trace, additional_trace]

Hi empet, thanks for your reply. I’m sorry, I perhaps didn’t clarify what I’d like to do.

Let’s say I have some data with a range in x from 0 to 10. I want to display this data on an x-axis which is reversed so 10 is on the left and 0 on the right. However, I’d additionally like to display only a limited range of the whole data, let’s say from 5 to 8 (or 8 to 5, since it’s reversed). I have found that the code in the example I previously linked to does not do what I believe it is meant to be doing. Namely the range=[0, 10] in this code:

xaxis=dict(autorange='reversed', range=[0, 10])

in the example does not seem to have any effect on the plot. If autorange='reversed' is removed, then the range=[...] does have an effect.

In fact I can achieve what I want by simply omitting the autorange and specifying the range as range=[10,0]. So now I’m wondering what is autorange=reversed meant to do that range=[max, min] can’t? Regarding your example, it seems we could achieve some blank space on the left of the reversed plot just by changing the range e.g. range=[max+5, min].

Thanks

1 Like

The solution is described here: