Introducing Dash DataTable 🎉

:wave: Hello Dash Community –

I’m excited to announce that we have open-sourced Dash DataTable!

Dash DataTable is an interactive table component designed for viewing, editing, and exploring large datasets.

:point_right: Documentation: https://dash.plot.ly/datatable
:point_right: GitHub: https://github.com/plotly/dash-table

DataTable is rendered with standard, semantic HTML <table/> markup, which makes it accessible, responsive, and easy to style.

This component was written from scratch in React.js specifically for the Dash community. Its API was designed to be ergonomic and its behavior is completely customizable through its properties.

7 months in the making, this is the most complex Dash component that Plotly has written, all from the ground-up using React and TypeScript. DataTable was designed with a featureset that allows that Dash users to create complex, spreadsheet driven applications with no compromises. We’re excited to continue to work with users and companies that invest in DataTable’s future.

DataTable is in Alpha. This is more of a statement on the DataTable API rather than on its features. The table currently works beautifully and is already used in production at F500 companies. However, we expect to make a few more breaking changes to its API and behavior within the next couple of months. Once the community feels :muscle: about its API, we’ll lock it down and we’ll commit to reducing the frequency of breaking changes. Please subscribe to dash-table#207 and the CHANGELOG.md to stay up-to-date with any breaking changes.

So, check out DataTable and let us know what you think. Or even better, share your DataTable Dash apps on the community forum!

:heart:

– chriddyp

25 Likes

Wow,Thank you for your contribution

1 Like

Thanks! Very exciting news!:tada:

1 Like

You guys rock!!

I’m currently prototyping a dashboard based on Dash and most of the requests are for displaying tabular data, I’ve been using dash-table-experiments for this up till now but this blows that out of the water!

I’ve just skimmed over all the documentation and I have 1 question, is it intentional to have the back-end filtering syntax be different from the front-end? I can see situations where it would be useful to adopt both features for different tables on the same page, and I’m not sure how I would communicate to users which syntax to use where and why they are different.

Also not to jump ahead of myself, but is there a good place to request features? A first class way to provide an export button to CSV or Excel would be would be amazing! But I’m just wishfully thinking :grinning:

2 Likes

It’s not, the filtering syntax still needs some work. This is an area where I expect to make some breaking changes. I recommend watching this issue: V2 filtering_settings · Issue #169 · plotly/dash-table · GitHub to stay up to speed :slight_smile:

Yup! Feel free to open an issue in the github repo: Issues · plotly/dash-table · GitHub :rocket:. We’re prioritizing issues that are requested by companies that have sponsored the development (Consulting, Training & Open-Source Development)

Thanks for all the info! I’ll make this clear to my company.

1 Like

This is fantastic news. I’m teaching a day-long “Introduction to Plotly Dash” course this Friday (Nov. 9) for a cohort of data scientists at Deloitte. For the data table example, I was planning on using the old workaround. Now I can incorporate the new DataTable element instead! Thanks @chriddyp for carrying the torch forward on this.

2 Likes

This is really impressive. I’ve been lurking this forum for too long and thought that its time to start thanking you for this great work @chriddyp. I’m definitely going to try this out coming week!

Keep up the great work!

1 Like

This is fantastic. Thanks to everyone who was involved in this. Dash is awesome!

1 Like

Hooray and congrats!

1 Like

Well done and thx to all involved.
Rob

1 Like

Thanks to everyone that worked hard to create this!

Can’t wait to start using this!

1 Like

Hi @austin I recently joined Deloitte in DC area. I have build a few dashboards with Dash and I would be interested in attending your course. I can’t send direct messages on this forum, since I just registered. Can you DM me your contact information please. Thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: row_update in dash_table.DataTable

I am also hosting a course on Dash at EY in London next month. Thank you for this fantastic new addition, I will definitely be incorporating it.

Our team is super appreciative of the work your team has achieved. I really do believe Plotly is trailblazing a better way in BI, which is why I am such a big advocate of it!

1 Like

Thank you so much guys! I was using DataTable from the other repo (data-table experiments) which was in beta. Merging this with dash core components means that it is getting real

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Css property and selectors in dash-table

A post was split to a new topic: Dash DataTable - Update data via external dropdown

Hey, good to be here! I was working earlier with dash_table_experiments, and am shifting over to dash_table. What all changes would be necessary for a successful migration? I am getting a lot of errors while trying to modify my existing code. Thanks !