Help with Error Message - "Layout must be a dash component or a function that returns a dash component"

Hi @chriddyp. Been trying to do the same but am facing the challenge where the error am getting is Layout must be a dash component or a function that returns a dash component. What I tried doing is generate a daytaframe from selected values using iterations in a function which is called buy the @app.callback. The Inputs are generated by the dropdown. see depleted code below
def Creator(value):
return df
def generate_table(dataframe, max_rows=10):
return html.Table()
app.layout = html.Div([
dcc.Dropdow(id='my-dropdown.),
dcc.Graph(id='my-graph')
dt.DataTable(id='my-datatable')
])
@app.callback(Output('my-graph', 'figure'),
[Input('my-dropdown', 'value')])
def update_graph(dropdown_value):
return Figure
@app.callback(Output('my-datatable', 'rows'), [Input('my-dropdown', 'value')])
def update_table(value):
dff = Creator(value)# update with your own logic
return generate_table(dff)

Am not sure what I missed

Hi @Dee,
I’m not an expert but one clarity, are these labels- ‘my-graph’ and ‘my-dropdown’, used in callback,defined in your layout? Because in above code I don’t see the layout containing them.
e.g.
app.layout = html.Div([
dcc.Dropdown(id = ‘my-dropdown’),
dcc.Graph(id = ‘my-graph’)
dt.DataTable(id = ‘my-datatable’)
])

The labels are there, just that had ommited them whilst typing onto the platform, sorry for the inconvinience,

@Dee - This error message means that your app.layout isn’t correct, it “must be a dash component or a function that returns a dash component.”.

You’re missing a comma here

1 Like

Did all possible adjustments, the challenge is the table is also using data generated from another computation.

Solved it, my callback had a condition, like I set the dropdown to be empty so whenever I ran the generate table would receive an empty array, hence the error