Dash architecture : how does dash work ? and other questions

Hi,
I’m new to dash and I would really appreciate it if someone can provide me with answers to my questions:

• How does dash work exactly in the background? (It will be great if there is a picture describing the architecture of dash) where is the data stored?
  • Is there some limitation while working with large dataset?
  • For dash app with multiple pages (multiple dashboards) what is the best structure to adopt?
  • what are the hardware requirements for using dash (minimal requirement) ?

Thanks for your time :smiley:

Hi @houda98
Here’s my opinion on some of your questions. Some of these answers are incomplete, so hopefully, the Dash community can help finalize my answers:

• How does dash work exactly in the background? (It will be great if there is a picture describing the architecture of dash) where is the data stored?
    As far as I understand, Dash stores the data on the server-side. So the very first time the app is loaded, the dataframe is saved as a global variable. As a result, all app users can see the same initial data loaded. That is why, in the callback function you always want to make a copy of the df to not manipulate the original data.
  • Is there some limitation while working with large dataset?
    A very large dataset might inevitably slow the app down a little bit. But I’m not aware of a recommendation of a max size of a dataset
  • For dash app with multiple pages (multiple dashboards) what is the best structure to adopt?
    You can adapt any of the two structures on the Dash documentation example. Under the Structuring a Multi-Page App section

I’ve adopted one of them in this video:

• what are the hardware requirements for using dash (minimal requirement) ?
    I’m not aware of any minimum requirement. But when I used my old computer with 8gb Ram, some of my apps took longer to load on my computer, compared to my current 16gb.

Hope this helps,

1 Like

Hi @adamschroeder
Thanks a lot this is very helpful.

1 Like