Converting Jupyter notebook to html via nbconverter displays Plotly graphs with incorrect axis ticks/labels?

Hello everyone,

I’m working on a personal project for educational purposes. Everything related to Plotly works just fine in my JupyterLab notebook. My project involves converting my notebook to an .html file via nbconverter.

Now, when I convert the file, my Plotly charts are still visible, however the axis labels are all out of order. I believe this might have something to do with the data types of the columns/indexes of the dataframes being used, but I’ve tried changing them numerous times and nothing seems to be working.

For example:
This is what it looks like when I run it in JupyterLab. This is correct:

However, after converting it, it gets displayed like this:

This code for the slider looks like this:

# Slider creation
    steps = []
    for i in range(0, len(data_bal)):
        step = dict(method="restyle",
                    args=["visible", [False] * len(data_bal)],
                    label=str(YEARS[i])) #i've tried with and without the str(), but the result is the same
        step['args'][1][i] = True
        steps.append(step)

It also happens with my heatmap. This is what it looks like in JupyterLab:

And this is how it gets displayed:

# Create plotly figure with heatmap
fig = go.Figure(data=go.Heatmap(
                    x=dat.columns, # dtype='int32'
                    y=dat.index,   # dtype='object'
                    z=dat,
                    name='',
                    hoverongaps=False,
                    hovertemplate="<b>%{y}</b><br>Year: %{x}<br>Finals: %{z}"))

In my Makefile, my nbconvert command looks like this:

# convert ipynb to html
convert:
	jupyter nbconvert --execute \
	--ExecutePreprocessor.timeout=600 \
	--TemplateExporter.exclude_input=True \
	--TemplateExporter.exclude_output_prompt=True \
	--to html "IFSC Analysis.ipynb" \
	--output docs/index.html

Can anyone provide any context as to why this might be happening? I’m relatively new to Plotly (< 2 weeks). I’m trying to have my notebook display on a GitHub Page, which is why I’m trying to convert it to HTML. If anyone can offer me any advice, or point me in the right direction, I’d be extremely grateful.

Hi @n0ah, this looks like if the type of the variables changed from int/float/datetime to string during the process. I’d check for that.

Hi @AIMPED , I appreciate your reply. Unfortunately, I’ve tried numerous times to make sure the variable type doesn’t change, but nothing I’ve done seems to make a difference.