Black Lives Matter. Please consider donating to Black Girls Code today.
Dash Enterprise delivers an incredible 21x cost savings 💸Download the e-book!

Ternary Plot needed

A number of scientists use ternary plots (aka triangle plots). Is there a way to get this added to plot.ly?
I’d like to have that capability in the next few months (~Jan 2016).
If needed, I have some funding available to make this happen; we’d like it to be available to everyone who uses your tool.

This should be possible.
Can you please use the “Request Demo” link at the top-right of the Plotly homepage?
I will look for your request and get back to you shortly.

Jack, thanks. I just submitted a “Request Demo” as per your email. I look forward to interacting. Best, Seth

@jack I see that there is now a ternary plot function in plotly – very cool.

A couple items related to that:

1. It would be great to have this function accessible in R.
  2. It would be great if it used aesthetics other than the traditional {x, y, z}, because those symbols are so connected to euclidean plotting (at least in my mind; others could disagree). More importantly than the naming convention, however – a ternary plot is only 2D, so the user might want to map z to another variable.

I like the first version of this, but we do need a way to plot 4 columns easier.
ie x,yz, for the coordinate/location
and a fourth variable/number for an amplitude/color

@lindberg ternary plots are possible via the R package using the non-ggplot2 interface (and positional aesthetics are specified via a/b/c attributes just like in plotly.js). I just uploaded a script which improves upon code provided in this post.

Btw, to run that script, you’ll want the dev version of plotly – devtools::install_github("ropensci/plotly")