Black Lives Matter. Please consider donating to Black Girls Code today.

Is it possible to change shapes without replotting the whole figure? Or otherwise improve performance?

Hello,

I’ve got a heatmap that takes a fair amount of time to render (about 10s, I’m already using a subset of the data). I’m visualising a user-selected region by drawing a rectangle shape inside the layout for the figure. Like this: https://plot.ly/python/shapes/ . So every time the user changes the region is takes about 10s to visualise it… this is obviously kind of frustrating.

I tried to speed things up by putting the old figure state into the callback; if only the selected region has changed then I re-use the “data” part from the old figure and only update the “layout”. This doesn’t seem to actually speed things up, though… I guess most of this time is rendering, not creating the Heatmap object. Looking here: Is it possible to update just `layout`, not whole `figure` of Graph in callback? indicates that this should have been obvious… but when I saw the “uid” hiding inside the “data” I thought maybe dash would figure out that the data was identical and save some time.

Two questions:

• The above post is a year old… has updating layout-only been implemented by chance, and I just haven’t found the documentation on it?

• Given this isn’t possible, is there a smarter way to draw a rectangle on top of an existing figure? I could put two axis on top of each other in the same figure (like this: https://plot.ly/python/graphing-multiple-chart-types/ ), but I’ll still need to render the whole figure in the callback, so I don’t think that will help. A complete second figure with transparent background would do it… but I’m not nearly good enough with CSS etc. to get them to line up on top of each other…

Thanks!

Hi @Veenstra,

Were you able to figure out a better way to update the shapes?

Looking into the same things now, any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Alexander

Never did. I ended up giving up and going a different route for our data visualization. Not sure if things are different now…

1 Like