Black Lives Matter. Please consider donating to Black Girls Code today.
Learn how to use COVID-19 data in open source Dash apps. Register for the Sept 23rd webinar with IQT!

Easiest way to build dashboards through a "template"

I’m trying to find a simple solution for a sort of strange case. I have a web app running on Flask - it takes a CSV file, appends a couple of columns and stores the resulting CSV file on S3.

I would like to add some charting features - problem is, I am not the one that builds the charts (right now, other people build the charts in Tableau and I then have to replicate them with D3).

I am trying to understand if Plotly can be the right tool: I would like to create a dashboard “template” through Plotly’s web interface (using a CSV file on the S3 bucket), and then embed that template in a webpage. All the CSV files on S3 have the same template (same column names and so on, just the numbers are different) I would like to embed the dashboard “template” in a web page and then simply switch the URL to the CSV file on S3 to show different datasets, through the same dashboard.

Is this possible through Plotly? We can consider the paid plans as well - but from what I can grasp form the web interface, I can embed a dashboard but I can’t switch the datasource of the embed… is that right?

Thanks!

This might be useful for you - We’re about to release a Python wrapper for creating dashboards. Look for a pull request here in the next few weeks:

From what I can grasp form the web interface, I can embed a dashboard but I can’t switch the datasource of the embed… is that right?

You can actually connect graphs to CSV files on S3, then embed those charts in a dashboard. Check out this tutorial here:

Let us know if you have any questions :+1:

That pull request seems great! Will it be possible to create a dashboard by duplicating an existing one and switching the CSV file stored on S3 that provides data?