Dash page on local server and live on pythonanywhere works but does not always update in response to user input

Hello, I have a pythonanywhere site using dash/python 3.8 that ingests data from a small csv file and a larger (60M) netcdf file. It runs an update cycle that subsets these two files according to user-selected variables and/or time period, updating a map accordingly. The site is up and updates most of the time, however sometimes it does not respond to user selections. Some more clicking and control manipulation will cause it to update again, and then again it will stop update. The error log indicates a variable from the netcdf file (or the netcdf file itself) is not found, however it will then plot okay if the user continues manipulating the controls, so the file is found and the variable is extracted on some occasions.

It is live now; to have a look at it here is the login info:

https://atkinsonde.pythonanywhere.com/
datkinson
QtPzU2bF
…and here is an error message that is written to the error log (this is for one of the netcdf variables, “shts”, but it will also sometimes do it on the other variable in the netcdf file, “shww”.)

File “/home/atkinsonde/mysite/app.py”, line 254, in update_figure
ecmwf_sw= pd.DataFrame(nco[‘shts’][single_date_pick].filled(fill_value=0)).set_index(latf)
File “src/netCDF4/_netCDF4.pyx”, line 4420, in netCDF4._netCDF4.Variable.getitem
File “src/netCDF4/_netCDF4.pyx”, line 5363, in netCDF4._netCDF4.Variable._get
File “src/netCDF4/_netCDF4.pyx”, line 1950, in netCDF4._netCDF4._ensure_nc_success
RuntimeError: No such file or directory
I’ve been thinking file size? But it’s well below the 100M limit for pythonanywhere. Lag? But sometimes it updates quite promptly. File access? No, most of the time it reads the file. My app.run is embedded in main, as:

if name == ‘main’:
app.run()
I can’t figure out what it could be. Have I missed something obvious? I’m new to pythonanywhere and could easily have overlooked something, e.g. maybe I’m not launching the app correctly. An earlier iteration of the site, before the netcdf file was incorporated, worked fine.

A local implementation at http://127.0.0.1:8050/ (specifying app.run_server(debug=False) also exhibits similar problems, but to a lesser extent, and no errors are thrown in my anaconda/spyder log. With every update it passes a status message:
127.0.0.1 - - [22/Feb/2021 09:13:57] “POST /_dash-update-component HTTP/1.1” 200 -

I did a search for intermittent update but didn’t see anything that looked like this. Wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience, and what they may have done about it.

Thanks all.