Dash Job - Technical Product Manager - Plotly (Canada)

:mega: Plotly Dash Skills: Deliver the next generation of Dash Open Source and Dash Enterprise products. Requires a technical background and excellent writing skills

Company: Plotly

Title: Technical Product Manager

Category: Full-Time

Experience: Mid level

Application: Link to apply

@OpenToWork

About the Role

As a Product Manager, you will be part of the team that delivers the next generation of Dash Open Source and Dash Enterprise products. Dash enables data scientists to quickly and easily build and deploy highly functional, production-grade data apps in Python.

Our products include Python libraries for building exceptional interactive web applications and data visualizations, low-code development tools and IDEs to aid the software development process, data connectivity features to aid the data science and data pipeline process, and an application deployment platform to easily bring applications into production in enterprise environments.

We aim to radically simplify the software development process, rethinking the way web applications are developed and deployed. Our customers are extraordinary data scientists in large companies with stringent data access and enterprise IT requirements. Typically, building enterprise-grade internal tooling would take our customers months to years. With Dash Enterprise, data scientists can build and deploy apps in hours to days.

As a Product Manager, you will contribute to the full product development lifecycle from market research, ideation, prototyping, developing product specs, collaborating with engineers, and collecting customer & sales feedback.

Our product suite is expansive. It includes Python APIs, web development tools, IDEs, application deployment, enterprise IT integrations, data integrations, analytics capabilities, and more. As a Product Manager, you will have the opportunity to develop features across the product stack but will likely specialize in one or more areas based on your prior experience and interest.

Duties & Responsibilities:

Ideation - Develop new ideas for product features in the near and long term

Pitch Development - Develop ideas into well-defined product specifications (“pitches”) that can be delivered to an engineering team

Product Management - Monitor and facilitate the development process from engineering, QA, and technical writing to ensure the delivery of a high quality product

Incorporate feedback from engineering, marketing, sales, customer success, customers, user data, and the broader market

Technologies you’ll be working with:

As a Product Manager, you will work with the same products and technologies that are used by our customers including

Dash Open Source Python Library

Dash Enterprise Platform

Python

Python IDEs (PyCharm, Jupyter)

Python Data Ecosystem (e.g. Pandas, Numpy, Scikit-Learn)

Kubernetes

AWS/GCP/Azure

Data Warehouses like Redshift, Snowflake, Databricks

Product development will use technologies like:

Confluence (writing and collaborating on pitches)

Whimsical / Figma (wireframes)

Zendesk (reading customer support tickets)

GitHub (tracking tickets)

Slack (internal communication)

Discourse (community forum)

Job Requirements

Technical background. Our products are for developers, data scientists, and system admins. You’ll need deep technical understanding and experience to inform the next generation of these products.

Excellent writing skills. We’re strong believers in writing as a tool to think clearly and rigorously. We believe in tools like the Amazon 6-Pager or Basecamp’s “Pitches”

Passion for world-class developer & data science products that is informed from first-hand experience in software development, data science, business intelligence, data visualization or enterprise IT.

Creative & rigorous problem solving to think of new product ideas and solve customer problems through new product features. Ability to zoom out and think holistically of the entire product experience while also drilling in and sweating the details.

Business and marketing acumen to inform how product development can drive revenue growth

Prior technical experience to inform product development in one or more areas:

Data science / AI / ML / technical computing in Python

Data visualization

Databases

Data Engineering

API / software library development

Open Source Software

Enterprise IT / Sys Admin

Identity Providers / Authentication / Authorization

Enterprise internal tools

Creative software

Business Intelligence / Dashboards

Low-code development tools

Website/Web app development

We will consider candidates with strong experience in the areas above even if they do not have any prior experience in PM’ing.

What We Can Offer You:

A way to put your skills to use enabling people around the world to better understand their data and make better decisions

Knowledge-sharing with smart, motivated colleagues and folks working at the most sophisticated companies in the world

Flexible schedule and generous PTO

Medical, dental, vision, and more benefits

Company stock options

Parental leave policy

Learning and development program

Community involvement

Home office set up fund

About Plotly:

As a company with roots in the open-source community, Plotly introduced web-based data visualization to Python. Today, the company offers Dash Enterprise, which provides the best software tools and platform to enable every enterprise in the world to build and scale data applications quickly and easily.

At Plotly, you’ll work alongside a diverse team of first-class scientists, engineers, developers and builders that challenge the status quo and set the bar high. We encourage each member of our team to explore and expand their skill sets on a continuous basis, to approach every problem with curiosity and an open-mind. Together, we make it possible for people everywhere to share data, facts and information.

Plotly is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. If you require any accommodations, please let us know in advance.

We’re looking forward to getting to know you!

2 Likes

Possibly a stupid question, but does that mean you want someone who lives in Canada, but accept that it may not be in Montreal?
I’m interested but live in the UK (and have no plan to move outside of Europe…)

Hello Wabiloo - Yes, as of now we are looking to hire somebody who lives in Canada, and can be located anywhere in Canada. Does not have to be in Montreal. We did open our UK office this year. Can you send me your resume to srini@plot.ly I can share your resume and check with the hiring manager if they are open to hiring in UK for this role.

1 Like

This position will work directly with me and my product team :slightly_smiling_face: Would be great to hire someone with direct dash experience from this community :heart:

3 Likes

Hey @chriddyp, i dont mean to be annoying but if by any chance plotly allowed hiring for remote jobs outside canada i would be glad if i can be considered and i totally respect plotly hiring policy but im just saying :blush:

Here is my CV just in case:

Thank you

1 Like

You really need more professionals from sub-fields to join the team, please accept more their opinions and wish your team good development.

Thanks for your interest @Mazen72 ! Unfortunately we can’t hire outside for this position outside of where we have offices (Canada, USA, UK). I hope you find some fruitful Dash work with the @OpenToWork group!

Appreciate your support @stu ! Looking forward to growing this team with folks from different backgrounds as well.

1 Like

@srini1 @chriddyp @adamschroeder

A bit late possibly, but have you filled the role? With the holiday period I didn’t get a chance to dedicate time to it (our toddler is a handful), but I would still like to apply if the role is still open

hi @Wabiloo
This position is still open.