Black Lives Matter. Please consider donating to Black Girls Code today.

Can't connect using the Falcon SQL Client

I get this error : ER_NOT_SUPPORTED_AUTH_MODE: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client. I just downloaded the MySQL client like a few days ago so I don’t think upgrading it is an issue. Do I need to use the legacy version of a password for the mysql server or is it something else?

Falcon uses the mysql client in npm. This client only accepts mysql_native_password for authentication.

I’m guessing you see this error because your MySQL server is v8.0.4 or above.

See this comment for a workaround.

I’ve opened an issue on Falcon’s repository to remind us update the mysql client once the compatibility issues with MySQL v8 have been fixed.

Can someone help me fix this problem?

If you have permissions to run ALTER USER, then you need to set the authentication plugin to mysql_native_password, like this:

ALTER USER 'YourUserName'@'%' IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY 'YourRootPassword';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

(replace YourUserName and YourRootPassword by whatever is relevant in your case)

See the discussion here.

When I tried to connect database using Falcon SQL client then it shows an error windows defender error 577, so I want to remove this error so I want a proper solution how to remove this error.