Black Lives Matter. Please consider donating to Black Girls Code today.
https://www.blackgirlscode.com

Behavior change for embed URL with new plots?

A few weeks ago I used Chart Studio for the first time to make some plots available for embedding in a Medium article. The plots were generated with Plotly in Python and then uploaded to Chart Studio using its Python connector. I was able to just paste URL’s of the form https://plotly.com/~username/0/ into Medium and the plots rendered perfectly in the article. I went back today to generate a version 2 of all those plots using some revised data. None of my code changed and I see the new charts in Chart Studio just fine. But when I paste the new links into Medium, all that renders is a description box (see attachment, old vs new chart of same exact code).

For troubleshooting, I tried making a copy of one of the old charts, which still embed fine, but the copy has the same issue with not rendering. I also tried creating a new account and uploading there – same issue.

Did something change with the way Chart Studio handles these URLs in the past couple weeks? Long story short, I’ve got two copies of the same chart, one uploaded 15 days ago and one uploaded today; the old one renders fine when embedded and the new one won’t render.

Hi there,

We made some changes to our URL structure yesterday night which might be related. The way that Medium handles embedding of Chart Studio Cloud charts might not be compatible with these changes, which is not something we anticipated. We’ll look into it!

Thanks for the reply! If there’s anything I can do to help test of look into the issue, please let me know!

I think we need to work with Medium to restore the old behaviour at the new URL… might be a while, hang in there!

Hey @nicolaskruchten, ditto on the above. Would love to hear how this is developing as many of my posts rely on interactive plotly embeds. Thanks so much in advance, let me know if there’s anything I can do to help :slight_smile:

I’ll post an update when we have one :slight_smile:

As far as I know, previously-created embeds still work, correct? And we’re having trouble creating new ones? Or does anyone have an example of a previously-created embed that’s stopped working?

My previously-created embeds still work fine, both in their current placement in articles and when I try and embed those versions in a new article. But anything that I created after those (2 weeks later) won’t embed properly in Medium.

Good news, this just now started working again :slight_smile:

That’s great news! Thanks for the quick work on this!