Black Lives Matter. Please consider donating to Black Girls Code today.

Analytic tools in 2.0 (non-subscription)

I’ve noticed that the analytical tools (regression analysis, t-tests, etc) on version 1.n are not available on the preview version of 2.0. Am I missing something, are these features not yet available or will this be part of the freemium squeeze to get us to pay for a full subscription. I’m currently “testing” plotly for use in a intro science class (1800 students/yr) at a large university - 1.0 looks like it is a very good fit to my needs for these students - I’d hate to loose this tool and have to go back to building custom excel spread sheets.

Hey there.

Fits are now available in the new workspace! Linear, quadratic, average, and moving average fits will be available to free users, but the others (including inverse and custom fits) will be for PRO subscribers.

Visit this page to learn how to create one.

Not sure what you mean by new workspace. If I try 2.0, I can not do the linear fit and save them (marked as pro) Again an educator looking for a better way.

The workspace is the Plotly 2.0 web app here.

We’ll be phasing out Plotly 1.0 once the new workspace has all the awesome features (transferring a lot of the old features over to the new workspace and adding new ones) implemented and working smoothly. The curve fitting was added as a PRO feature accidentally, that was a mistake! Having said that, linear, quadratic, average, and moving average fits will be available to free users, but the others (including inverse and custom fits) will be for PRO subscribers.

Your students can subscribe to a free account, and this page will list the features that come with that plan: https://plot.ly/products/cloud/. Note that features are subject to change. When it comes to the workspace, certain colors, typeface and chart types are available with a PRO or Student account, but a lot of them are free. Here is the information for the Student Plan.

So you expect high-schools that have been using your software to now have to pay$60/student/year to continue to get the same functionality? I am very confused as to what happened here.

Yea, I was wondering that too.

So, the students get a free account which is plotly 1.0? A little worried because we plan to use it tomorrow.

@danstl The student plan is intended for university-level students and instructors (not K12).

We chose the Free features such that K12 classrooms could continue to use Plotly 1 or Plotly 2 for free, forever. That is why linear and quadratic fitting are free in Plotly 2 (“the new workspace”). If your classroom is doing more advanced fitting or stats, Plotly 1 (what your class used last year) will continue to be available at least through 2016. I would be surprised however if your K12 classroom is doing gaussian, polynomial, or exponential fitting.

@dkir I wondering if you perhaps just did not find the fitting and analysis functions in Plotly 2.0? You have to click the “+ Analysis” menu button to see them:

It looks like to me that it has changed in the past week so that I can now do a fit in 2.0 free. Thank you.