Black Lives Matter. Please consider donating to Black Girls Code today.

Access to plot.ly 1.0

I am a high school teacher who uses plot.ly with HS seniors. We use the basic graphing capabilities (scatterplots, boxplots, histograms, etc). I have noticed that in plot.ly 2.0 histograms and boxplots are pro features that require payment. How long can I access 1.0 and why are such basic graphs pro features? I need to know if it is worth using plot.ly this year (will 1.0 end before the end of the school year) or otherwise I will move to another free resource to make these graphs.

Hi There,

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding Plotly’s workspace. We have made the decision to tier certain features and chart types based upon a variety of factors, the most significant one being the the cost of supporting over 450,000 free community users.

We acknowledge that this might not be the best outcome for some users. That said, we anticipate that over time the growing commercial use of Plotly will give us other, more creative ways of meeting the needs of the broader education community. One of the steps we have taken to mitigate this change is to announce an academic pricing plan of Plotly for $59 a year.

While we anticipate retiring Plotly 1.0, we do not yet have a timeframe for doing so.
Sorry for any inconvenience this decision may have caused.

The question that is not being answered as all of us teachers start our year is what will the free version be able to do? Will it be able to do linear fits? Manipulate data? If not, might as well get the guaranteed free version of vernier’s graphical analysis and save an step in exporting data. What will be on the free version?